Transfer Ownership of an Individual Account - Owner Deceased Instructions
In order to transfer ownership of the account, please complete the enclosed Change of Registration Authorization Form, Affidavit of Domicile and Account Application, which include mailing instructions. Please note the following important instructions:
Change of Registration Authorization Form:
- Complete Sections 1 and 2.
- Complete Section 3 with the signature(s) of the executor or administrator of the estate. Each signature must be followed by “Executor” or “Administrator,” as applicable.
- Obtain a Medallion Signature Guarantee* in Section 4.
- Carefully review Page 2 for a description of the sections that must be completed and the documentation that may be required to establish the new account.
- Complete Section 1E with the name of the estate and the Taxpayer ID Number.
- Complete Section 2D with the address for the new account.
- Complete Sections 3E and 3F.
- Select the dividend and capital gains distribution options in Section 5. Please do not enter a selection for Fund Name(s), Class of Shares or Amount in this section. The current account will be transferred to a new account within the existing fund.
- Section 6A should be completed with the cost basis reporting method for the newly registered account. This election is not applicable to money market funds.
- The executor or administrator of the estate should complete Sections 6 through 8 for the privileges he/she wants to add to the newly registered account. Please be certain to attach a voided check to the application if the Dreyfus Automatic Asset Builder®, Dreyfus TeleTransfer and/or Wire Redemption privileges are being added to the new account.
- The executor or administrator of the estate must sign and date Section 9 and indicate the capacity in which he/she is signing.
- Complete Section 10 and obtain a Medallion Signature Guarantee.*
Please enclose the following documentation:
- A notarized Affidavit of Domicile completed by the executor or administrator of the estate.
- An Inheritance Tax Waiver (if applicable) for the decedent. This form may be obtained at the local state tax office.
- A Federal Transfer Release Form if the decedent had a foreign address and the total amount invested as of the date of death exceeded $60,000.
Please enclose any share certificates that may be outstanding on the current account. The certificate(s) must be returned unsigned with the completed Change of Registration Authorization Form, Account Application and the above-referenced documents by certified or registered mail to the following address:
Dreyfus Shareholder Services
4400 Computer Drive
Westborough, MA 01581
The executor or administrator may wish to include a brief letter of instruction to update the address of record for the current account. This will enable Dreyfus to send the final account statement and any applicable year-end tax forms directly to the appropriate person.
If the current account has the Checkwriting Privilege, please be sure that all outstanding redemption checks for the account have been paid before submitting the transfer instructions.
When we receive the required forms in proper order, we will process the request. Written notification of the registration change and a new book of redemption checks (if applicable) reflecting the new account number(s) will be sent to the new account owner(s).
At Dreyfus, we appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your financial needs. If you have any further questions, please contact us.
*The Transfer Agent has adopted standards and procedures pursuant to which Medallion Signature Guarantees in proper form generally will be accepted from domestic banks, brokers, dealers, credit unions, national securities exchanges, registered securities associations, clearing agencies and savings associations participating in the New York Stock Exchange Medallion Signature Program (MSP), the Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Program (STAMP) and the Stock Exchanges Medallion Program (SEMP). Notarization by a notary public is not an acceptable guarantee.