Transfer Ownership of a Joint Account with Rights of Survivorship Instructions
In order to transfer ownership of the account to the surviving joint tenant(s), please complete the Change of Registration Authorization Form, Affidavit of Domicile and an Account Application, which include mailing instructions. Please note the following important instructions:
Change of Registration Authorization Form:
- Complete Sections 1-3.
- Obtain a Medallion Signature Guarantee* in Section 4. If the account is being transferred only to the surviving joint tenant(s) or is being transferred to a trust account with the surviving tenant(s) named as the only trustee(s) in the trust registration, this requirement will be waived provided your instructions are accompanied by a certified copy (raised or multi-colored seal) of the Death Certificate for the deceased owner(s).
- Carefully review Page 2 for a description of the sections that must be completed and the documentation that may be required to establish the new account.
- Complete Sections 1 through 4, as applicable, for the type of account that will be established. Please be certain to provide all requested information in the applicable sections.
- Select the dividend and capital gains distribution options in Section 5. Please do not enter a selection for Fund Name(s), Class of Shares or Amount in this section. The current account will be transferred to a new account within the existing fund.
- Section 5A should be completed with the cost basis reporting method for the newly-registered account. This election is not applicable to money market funds.
- The new account owner(s) should complete Sections 6 through 8 for the privileges they wish to add to the newly registered account. Please be certain to attach a voided check to the application if the Dreyfus Automatic Asset Builder®, Dreyfus TeleTransfer and/or Wire Redemption privileges are being added to the new account.
- All new owners must sign and date Section 9, and indicate the capacity in which they are signing (if applicable).
- Complete Section 10 if the account will be transferred to a trust, corporation or other entity and obtain a Medallion Signature Guarantee* or corporate seal.
Please enclose the following documentation:
- A notarized Affidavit of Domicile for each decedent.
- An Inheritance Tax Waiver (if applicable) for each deceased tenant. This form may be obtained at the local state tax office.
Please enclose any share certificates that may be outstanding on the current account. The certificate(s) must be returned unsigned with the completed Change of Registration Authorization Form, Account Application and the above-referenced documents by certified or registered mail to the following address:
Dreyfus Shareholder Services
4400 Computer Drive
Westborough, MA 01581
If the address of record for the current account needs to be updated, please attach a brief letter of instruction that has been signed by all current registered account owners. This will enable Dreyfus to send the final account statement and any applicable year-end tax forms directly to the appropriate person.
If the current account has the Checkwriting Privilege, please be sure that all outstanding redemption checks for the account have been paid before submitting the transfer instructions.
When we receive the completed forms in proper order, we will process the request. Written notification of the registration change and a new book of redemption checks (if applicable) reflecting the new account number(s) will be sent to the new account owner(s).
At Dreyfus, we appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your financial needs. If you have any further questions, please contact us.
*The Transfer Agent has adopted standards and procedures pursuant to which Medallion Signature Guarantees in proper form generally will be accepted from domestic banks, brokers, dealers, credit unions, national securities exchanges, registered securities associations, clearing agencies and savings associations participating in the New York Stock Exchange Medallion Signature Program (MSP), the Securities Transfer Agents Medallion Program (STAMP) and the Stock Exchanges Medallion Program (SEMP). Notarization by a notary public is not an acceptable guarantee.