Fund Goal and Approach
The fund seeks as high a level of current income exempt from federal income tax as is consistent with the preservation of capital. To pursue its goal, the fund normally invests substantially all of its net assets in municipal bonds that provide income exempt from federal income tax. Municipal bonds are debt securities or other obligations issued by states, territories and possessions of the United States (such as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands) and the District of Columbia and their political subdivisions, agencies and instrumentalities, or multistate agencies and authorities, and certain other specified securities, the interest from which is, in the opinion of bond counsel to the issuer, exempt from federal income tax. The fund also seeks to provide income exempt from the federal alternative minimum tax. The fund invests at least 65% of its assets in municipal bonds with an A or higher credit rating, or the unrated equivalent as determined by The Dreyfus Corporation. The fund may invest the remaining 35% of its assets in municipal bonds with a credit rating lower than A, including municipal bonds rated below investment grade (high yield or junk bonds), or the unrated equivalent as determined by The Dreyfus Corporation.
The dollar-weighted average maturity of the fund's portfolio normally exceeds ten years, but the fund may invest without regard to maturity.
The portfolio managers focus on identifying undervalued sectors and securities. To select municipal bonds for the fund, the portfolio managers use fundamental credit analysis to estimate the relative value and attractiveness of various sectors and securities and actively trade among various sectors based on their apparent relative values.
Although the fund seeks to provide income exempt from federal income tax, the fund may invest temporarily in taxable bonds, including when the portfolio managers believe acceptable municipal bonds are not available for investment. During such periods, the fund may not achieve its investment objective.
The fund is subject generally to interest rate, credit, liquidity, call, and market risks, to varying degrees, all of which are more fully described in the fund's prospectus. Generally, all other factors being equal, bond prices are inversely related to interest-rate changes and rate increases can cause price declines.
Investors should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses of the fund carefully before investing. Download a prospectus, or a summary prospectus, if available, that contains this and other information about the fund, and read it carefully before investing.